Check out all the spooky-scary tricks and family-fun treats happening in Lorain County this October!As the temperature drops and the leaves begin to turn, the ghouls and goblins of Lorain County come out to play. For all you thrill seekers out there, here’s where to go to find them:
- Terror in the Field: Vermilion’s Old Haunted State Street School presents a 1/3 mile corn maze at Novotney's Farm Market, across from Friendship Gas Station in Vermilion, and all too close to Lake Eeeeerie. October 9th, 10th, 16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, and 31st.
- Halloween Fair: From 5–7 this autumn fair at the Carlisle Reservation Visitor’s Center is family friendly; the bewitching hour begins at 7. The fair includes a spooky trail (see pic below) music, games, and food. October 16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, 30th, and 31st.
- North Ridgeville’s Spookville: From 4 to dusk it’s all fun and games in Spookville, with face painting, crafts, applesauce making, and pumpkin carving. But after dusk the 1/4 mile Haunted Trail opens and the terror begins. Located in South Central Park, October 17th.
- Ghost Watch at the Moore House: The Moore House, location of the Black River Historical Society, invites unbelievers to view a REAL ghost hunt conducted by a team of experts from the Ohio Researchers of Banded Spirits (don’t believe this exists, do you? Check out their website. Crazy!). Adults only, $25 Limited tickets. During the ghost hunt, cemetery tours, food, and a bonfire will be available outside for Halloween lovers of all ages. October 24th.
- Pumpkin Land: While you stock up on cider and apples at Miller’s Orchard, let your kids roam this fun, autumnal play area. Two hay mazes, one well-lit and one dark, scarecrows, farm animals and plenty of pumpkins. Open through Halloween.
- Halloween Campout: Findley State Park is getting in the holiday spirit with this festive campout festival. For only the regular camping fees, campers of all ages can enjoy movies, games, a costume pet parade, trick-or-treating, hay rides, a scarecrow contest and delicious pot-luck soup. October 9th and 10th.
- Fall Hay Wagon Rides and Corn Maze: Come to the Carlisle Reservation Equestrian Center for the quintessential fall experience. Traditional, horse-drawn hay rides leave every 15 minutes until 3:30 PM. The Corn Maze measures a whopping 4 acres. October 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th, and 25th.
- North Ridgeville Tot-Trick-or-Treat: Bring the kids to North Ridgeville’s City Hall for a night of safe trick-or-treating. Lots of candy to be had. October 30th.
- Halloween at Jamie's Flea Market: Start your Halloween day off right with a trip to Jamie's Flea Market. Trick-or-treating for kids 12 and under and scavenger hunts for a chance to win Jamie’s Gift Certificates.
- Monster Mash Bone Bash: The costume party of the year, at Matus Winery in Wakeman. Dress to impress. Previous award winners have included pirates, hippies, and ghosts--but you can top that. October 31st.
- Masquerade Murder Mystery: The Oberlin Inn presents a murder mystery evening, complete with superior overnight accommodations, lavish dinner buffett, and an entertaining Murder Mystery. Costumes, apropos the holiday, are highly recommended. October 31st. Call the Inn at 775-1111 for reservations.
For more information on happenings in Lorain County, stop by the Visit Lorain County Travel Information Center at 8025 Leavitt Road, call us 1-800-334-1673, visit the website, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.